The Social Worker's Guide to the Care Act 2014
AUTHOR : By Pete Feldon
ISBN : 9781913453053
Edition No : 2
Publication : Nov 8, 2021
Extent : 328 pgs
New edition of our best-selling book which helps social workers gain a comprehensive understanding of how to achieve best practice in applying the Care Act 2014.
It covers the key stages of the ‘care and support journey' - first contact, assessment of needs, prevention, consideration of eligibility, charging and financial assessment, care and support planning, and review. In addition, other chapters look at significant issues such as safeguarding and working with NHS colleagues.
The core aims are to provide the following:
- a solid foundation for social work students in developing a critical understanding of the Care Act and its application,
- the material to help experienced social workers with developing the critical reflection necessary to enhance their ability to make professional judgements
- a source of reference which social workers can use to evaluate their local systems, policies and procedures.
The second edition also provides practice examples of mistakes that have been made in applying the Care Act and the statutory guidance. It sets out more considered description of how social workers might apply the statutory guidance on personal budgets.
- First contact
- Assessment of needs
- Eligibility determination
- The duty and power to meet needs
- Charging and financial assessment
- Care and support planning
- Safeguarding enquiries
- Safeguarding – types of abuse, SABs
- Substantially difficulty with involvement
- Working with the NHS and housing
- Other modification and additions
- Professional judgement